Friday we had another follow up appointment with the neurologist. This time we saw the nurse practitioner, but I LOVED her! I'd see her every time if we could.
We had this appointment to follow up from his new MRI and an ultrasound of the arteries in his neck. Both tests came back normal. We knew that before we went so we thought this appointment would be more of the same - we don't know why this happened or what is going on. But it wasn't really like that at all. She was so thorough with us. She put everything into terms we could understand and really tried to answer our questions.
So here is the basic news. The EEG he had done in the hospital came back "abnormal." Until now we didn't know what that meant. Basically, his brain had some sharp waves - which I guess shows seizure activity. We had been told an EEG could show seizure activity for 2 days following a seizure. This nurse explained that these were different. There are different waves for post seizure activity and just seizure activity. So basically Juston has seizure activity going on in his brain all the time. Aka he could have a seizure disorder. She didn't really diagnose him but just said it is very likely. She said it could be genetic or it could be from his feveral seizure when he was 2. We don't know.
So what does this mean now? Juston will probably have to stay on this medicine forever. Bummer. It's not for sure yet. Everything will get more clear as the years go on and we can really see his brain activity over time. But right now that's what it looks like. We also have to be careful about him getting sick, fevers, and exhausted. I'm mostly nervous about this when the baby comes - exhaustion is just the name of the game with a newborn. But mostly I really finally feel at peace about everything. Everything she said could bring on a seizure he basically had sometime during the week before it happened. It's good to know that even though we can't say what exactly caused it we can have an idea. I'm glad to know there are things we can be cautious of to help prevent this happening again. But I'm also actually glad to know there is a real possibility of recurrence. Now I can be mentally prepared.
It's just nice to have some answers and peace about all of this. It just feels like FINALLY! It's been a long three months of so much unknown.
And best of all??? Juston can drive!!!!! Hahaha
5 comments:
It's great to know what's going on and can be prepared, but worrisome at the same time. I am so sorry you all have to go through this. Lets just hope and pray nothing serious happens and that life can go on as normal as possible:) Thinking of you guys.
SOOOO glad you got answers. and some good ones! I am also happy he can drive!!!!Woohoo!!!
Your situation and your "unknowings" sound just like my sister in law. Her hubby is still taking medicine and also his brain has been having "mini seizures" as well. Good think, he is functioning fine and they know some of the small things that they need to stay away from (tired, etc) to help stay away from him having a seizure again. Wahoo on driving again. My mil was driving him to and from work and would drive tons because he couldn't. Yahoo for answers!!
I'm so glad you got some real answers and explanations! And especially that he can drive (whoopee!). I'm sure it will take some time to grasp it all and come up with a plan but I'm glad you are there to watch over him! ((hugs))
this is great news! what a huge relief for you to finally put a name to all that's been going on. we will keep you in our prayers of course, but this is a HUGE step forward :]
Post a Comment