It's about time I write an update on my cute little Jackson! He is getting so big and has quite the personality these days. I can't believe he is already 18 months old! He is definitely a toddler and not a baby anymore.
At 18 months he is:
- sleeping in a toddler bed! We did it on a whim one night and never looked back. He does so well. We went the "cry it out" method for the transition. meaning, we put a lock on his door and let him cry until he went to sleep (like you would do with a crib but he just had the whole room). I was all geared up for a long night (I told Juston 2 hours was my max before we went to get him) but he was in bed asleep within 5-10 min. Every night has only gotten better. We let the dog sleep with him now and I think it has helped - he doesn't really like being alone. We do still have to lock his door for naps but he is getting better at those too.
- along with sleeping in a toddler bed he is also officially binky free! We tried to get rid of it a few months ago. Then he got sick or was teething for like 2 months straight. It was fabulous. So basically we gave it back because he needed something to help soothe him when he was hurting. Once that got better he basically handed the thing over. If we ever said, "I'm going to take that away if you don't get down" or something along those lines he'd just hand it over. Ha. Stinker. So the same night we did the toddler bed I forgot to give it to him to fall asleep. When he went to bed so easy we decided it was officially time and he was ready. Only problem is now when he is really needing a comfort object he puts his fingers in his mouth. It's not a ton but he does it. I don't want that to mess up his teeth so we need to remedy that quickly.
- getting so much more independent. He is getting a lot better at playing on his own. The other day I was able to take a quick rinse off shower and get mostly ready before he came looking for attention. It was fabulous! I love being able to have a few minutes to get something done here and there.
- isn't talking very much - but does say a few words. He mostly says daddy, grandma (more like ma ma but it's different - only we would know the difference), sometimes mama - mostly if he wants something or is mad ha, puppy, doggy, and occasionally baby. We are working on signing please and thank you.
- gives random hugs and kisses. DEFINITELY my favorite thing about him right now. Sometimes when I'm holding him he will just grab my cheeks and give me a big slobbery kiss. LOVE it.
- he is also getting a lot more cuddly. He loves to just come cuddle me when I'm laying on my bed or something. He especially likes to cuddle up when we are watching Elmo.
- LOVES to read. He will sit and look at books for quite some time. We worry more about making sure there are books in the diaper bag than any toy or snack.
- won't go to bed without reading scriptures and saying prayers. This is probably my second favorite thing about him right now. When we go in his room for bed he immediately grabs his little Book of Mormon and wants to look through it. We mostly look at the pictures at the beginning but try to read at least one verse. Then before he will lay down he folds his arms ready to say prayers. Cutest thing ever.
- speaking of prayers - he makes sure we say prayers over every meal. If we sit down at the table he folds his arms ready to pray. He also likes to say random prayers throughout the day. Love it.
- would live outside if we let him. He LOVES being outside. I would say most of his tantrums come from him being told he has to stay or go inside. I don't know what I am going to do when it is a million degrees outside and I don't want to go out there or leave the door/window open to watch him.
- is obsessed with Elmo. Seriously OBSESSED. If we see ANYTHING with Elmo (or other Sesame Street characters) he goes crazy. We are going to a craft fair thing this weekend just because they will have Elmo there.
- is a generally happy kid. He does throw huge tantrums if we don't understand what he is wanting/needing or if he gets too tired or hungry. Typical boy right? Ha. Basically as long as he is fed and rested he is happy.
I could go on and on about this kid. He is so fun right now. I am trying to soak in the moments with him while it's just him around. I am having a hard time being a working mom right now because I just want to spend my time with him. Although I want this baby OUT of me as soon as possible - I am excited about the little bit of time we will have together after preschool. Love this cute kid so much!!











No comments:
Post a Comment