turqoise dots background

Friday, July 2, 2010

The weekend is here!!

I can't even tell you how happy I am that it is the weekend. This week has been a fairly stressful one for me. I had a cake due for my cake decorating class and it pretty much consumed all of my time. I had tried really hard to not procrastinate on this at all because I knew it would be a ton of work. But, even with working on it constantly I was still up until almost 2 the night before finishing it. This project used a lot of royal icing and flooding. Those two things can look very cool but are SO ANNOYING!! I had the hardest time getting and keeping the right consistency of the icing.  You definitely can't make it and come back later.  A few of the things I made had to be redone a few times.  That was really frustrating.  But, all of my hard work paid off because my cake turned out pretty good.  I know I could have done a few of the things better, like the basket weave, but I just didn't have the time to be a perfectionist at that point.  I wanted it to be red, white, and blue....but the red wouldn't stop being pink.  Anyway, here is the finished product!

Oh, and while we are at it, here is our finished frame!!

Last weekend in Utah was so fun.  Matt filled Juston's tooth for us and then we went to the soccer game and dinner with Juston's friends and then went back to Provo for the night.  Saturday we all got up and went to the wedding.  It was at the Draper Temple and HOLY COW! That temple is SO pretty on the inside.  I think it is one of my favorites now.  The sealing was amazing and I learned so much from it.  After the sealing and pictures (ps, their photographer went to the wrong temple!) we went and walked around Ikea for a while.  That was fun.  We got some fun ideas...that we won't be able to do until we actually have a house and maybe some money too. Then we headed up to the lunch, which was SUPER yummy! The US soccer game was on at the time so all the boys were huddled around our phones watching it.  At our table they had them leaned up against the centerpieces so they could see it.  We started to get a little crowd around us, which was a little embarrassing, but it was fun and definitely entertaining watching the boys try to contain their emotions.

After the wedding we went to visit my Grandpa Killpack for a few minutes.  It's always nice to visit him.  It was a little bit weird going and not sleeping there for the night.  That has been our rest stop pretty much every time we drive to or from Vegas.  Then we FINALLY found a Zales and got my ring checked and cleaned.  And then we visited Matt and Heather, but they were all leaving so we left and went to dinner.  Juston had never been to the Cheesecake Factory so we went there.  Ridiculously expensive but SOOO good!! We got the avocado egg rolls, I got a BBQ salad or something and he got a breakfast sandwich.  And of course, we had to get cheesecake. Yum yum.  When we were about done Brooke called and said she was going back to Matt and Heather's house so we went there for a while.  By then everyone was back home anyway so we hung out for a while.  We talked to Brooke until she left and then went up and talked to Heather and Cole for a while.  I definitely haven't done that in a long time.  It was fun.  I really felt like I was at home there.  I think we need to go visit them more often.  It was crazy talking to Cole because he is SO much like Jamen to me sometimes.  (and Matt is just like my dad....so it makes sense)

We left for Rexburg at about 11 ish and thought it would be fine because there wouldn't be anyone on the road.  FALSE. We hit traffic and were stuck there for about an hour.  I suggested we just get off and go back to Matt and Heather's until morning so we could sleep.  But nope, Juston wasn't tired ;) he could make it! HA! About 30 min later we had to pull over because he was too tired.  I was also too tired to drive so we pulled into a parking lot and slept for a while.  Then we started driving again and only made it a little ways before he had to stop again.  At that point I felt like I could drive for a while so I told him to sleep while I drove.  But I only made it an hour before I felt like I should stop.  Juston luckily felt like he could drive by then so he drove the last hour of the trip.  We pulled into Rexburg at about 5:30 am.  Right in time for the sun to come up.  So, what should have been a 3 hour drive turned into a 6 1/2 hour drive.  Lets just say we slept most of the day Sunday....

Our fondue party that night was so fun! But way too hot for that many people in an un-air conditioned apartment. We were all roasting.....

Now this weekend should be FUN! I am so excited.  We are going to watch the parade, go to Rigby Lake and swim/lay in the sun, go to Idaho Falls to watch the fireworks (which I have heard are some of the best....like have been ranked in the top 10 for the United States....so I am excited!), and going camping in Yellowstone.  This all sounds super fun to me and I can't wait!! Plus after this weekend we only have one more full 5 day week in school! Woo hoo!!

Happy Independence Day!!

3 comments:

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

WOW... I want you to teach me to cake decorate!!! That look sooo cool!? Will you be here during the 7 wk break?? You did incredible on that cake.


Oh your weekend sounds soooo funn!!! I hope you get a good spot in IF sometimes it's hard there!!

Ashley Richins said...

BRIGHTON! how in the heck do you even do a basket weave?! That is awesome! Have an awesome weekend!

Brittany and Tyler said...

The cake looks great and it looks like you had a super fun weekend! Isn't the Draper Temple AMAZING? We are so thankful to have been able to be married there. It is gorgeous!!! :) We should get together when you and Juston have time :)