Tonight I was having a hard time deciding what to make for dinner. I was going to resort to macaroni and cheese, but decided to explore other options first. We did Bountiful Baskets this week and got broccoli and cauliflower. We like both of them, but I really haven't been in the mood to eat them raw. So I tried to find a recipe to put the broccoli in. This task was a little hard because I really don't have a lot of ingredients right now (we are trying to use up a lot of our stuff) and I didn't want to go buy a ton either. I did end up having to go to the store, but only for two items. It is also rainy and a little chilly outside so it was a perfect day for soup. As I was searching through the recipes I decided I wanted to make broccoli cheese soup. I have a recipe for it already, but I think it got put with the recipes I packed already. So, I kept looking online. Everything had Velveta in it, but I wanted to use real cheese. I came across this very tasty and simple looking recipe. I had almost all of the ingredients so I decided it was the winner. However, I really didn't follow the recipe. I used it as a starting point and then just put in what I had or what sounded good. I was so excited that it turned out well. It seriously was so yummy. I would probably change a few things again the next time I make it, but it was really good!
 |
| I didn't take a picture until after we had eaten and it had gotten a little cold. So it looks a little better than this when it is done... |
(this is what I did, not the original recipe)
Ingredients:
2 slices of bacon cut into chunks (next time I would probably do more)
1/4 onion - diced
1 pint half & half
3 cans chicken broth
1 cup water
8 oz (plus a handful) cheddar cheese
2/3 cup flour
garlic powder
pepper
broccoli
cauliflower
(I also think it could be good with carrots)
Directions:
Cook the bacon in a large pot (whatever you will cook the rest of the soup in). Once it is mostly done add the onions and continue to cook until the onions are translucent.
Add the remaining ingredients except the broccoli and cauliflower. Whisk together to get rid of lumps. The cheese will be stringy at first, but just keep stirring. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and add the broccoli and cauliflower. Simmer until they are softened to your liking.
That's it! It was so easy and so yummy! MMM! Let me know if any of you try it!
And yes, I know this is not very healthy :)
1 comment:
Brighton! Now I am literally craving this!! I'm so glad you put up the actual recipe!! you rock :)
Post a Comment