turqoise dots background

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Breaking a folkway

I am taking Sociology 111....Into to Sociology....
On Tuesday we were assigned to break a folkway. I was NOT happy about this. I had to do a similar assignment during the Winter semester for my Psychology class, and I HATED it! Well, after listening to a few suggestions in class, I thought, "hmm, I can do this!"
I stole one of the ideas the teacher gave us because it did not require anyone to know who I was!
After class today I wandered on into the bathroom and went into a stall. I hung my backpack on the little hooks; I could NOT let anyone know my identity! (My backpack doesn't exactly blend in....it's pink with lots of polka dots) Anyway, there were a lot of girls in there, so I decided I would wait for a fresh group of girls. (Those girls had seen my face already!) Well, it took about four different girls coming into the stall next to me to finally do it. (I picked the lucky stall, every girl that came in went into the one right next to mine!) Well, finally I decided I would do it to the next girl. When she went into the stall I thought, "crap, do I start talking to her before she STARTS to pee, WHILE she is peeing, or when she is DONE?!" I actually don't remember which process I said something to her during....I finally just blurted, "I really like your shoes! They are SO cute! Where did you get them?"
SILENCE! She sat there for a few seconds and finally she goes, "um, this is an interesting place to start up a conversation, I uh, I got them back east...I think at Payless"
Our conversation continued....she told me her shoes were comfortable and when she was done doing her business she was like, "well uh, thanks for the compliment I guess..." and went out of the stall.
I waited for about ten minutes before I exited. I'm pretty sure she thought I was crazy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW that is so funny, I almost started to cry i was laughing so hard. Thats by far the best story that I have heard in a very long time. Thats must have been so hard to do with out cracking up. Thats awesome. The best way to put it is just wow.

The Noorda Monkeys said...

thats nice brighton... i never thought of you doing something like that!! lol thank you for the happy birthday at midnight!!! love ya!!!

Krystal Ann said...

Haha that's awesome! I can so pictures this...i love how akward she was! Halarious :)

Chauntelle Graf Photography said...

wow... that would be the most awkward thing ever... haha

The Noorda Monkeys said...

i got a REALLY cute necklace from mom, dad got me a TOTTALLY awesome fox jacket- it is da bomb!!! i KINDA got a puppy (if anyone wants it we HAVE to give it to them, then jamen gets first choice if he wants it or not, then it is mine!!! lol) i got wax, and that kinda stuff from darci, some cute shirts and clothes, LOTS of long socks, a necklace from cole, balloons form alicia, a cupcake from sarah, a book and pencils from tallie and shelby, and a bunch of cards from my friends...