turqoise dots background

Monday, October 3, 2011

Our Weekend Date

(sorry ahead of time that this post is so long. I like to remember all of the details - they are fun for me to read later...and unfortunately the only pictures we took were on my phone. GR!)

As the arrival of our baby boy gets closer we know our dating life is about to drastically change.  We know we can always date, but it will be much harder and much different.  It will be a long time before we can just pick up and go for a weekend or just spontaneously decide to go do whatever.  So this weekend we did just that - we had a little "stay-cation."

We tried to get a good deal for a hotel on Priceline, but it didn't exactly work out.  We got a deal, but not a great deal.  Then when we checked into the hotel they told us it would be for two double beds. Um, no thanks. We are sleeping in a double bed at home and it is not exactly our favorite. So we paid to upgrade - essentially paying what we would have at the hotel we almost just booked without Priceline. Oh well. We stayed at the Palms - which yes, is the PlayBoy hotel. Haha. It's a good thing all we did at the actual hotel was check in and go right up to our room. But I guess I should tell the weekend from the beginning.

Friday was Madeline's birthday and birthday party.  It started at 6, but Juston doesn't get off work until 6:30 - which puts us home at 7.  Darci told me it was okay to not come, but I really wanted to.  One thing that ALWAYS made me homesick and sad living in Rexburg was missing birthdays and fun things like that.  So at 6:30 on the dot I picked up Juston and we hurried to the party.  We only stayed for a little while, but I'm so glad we went.  It was fun to be part of all the excitement.  She had such a cute little princess party and you could tell that Madeline was in Heaven.

After the party we headed to the strip.  First, we went to the Bellagio and got gellato. YUM. I love gellato. We walked through their little garden and then sat to eat our ice cream.  Then of course Juston found the arcade and had to play a song of Rock Band while I went to the bathroom. :) He's such a dork. When we were done with our ice cream we headed over to the Palms.  As we were driving over there we realized we hadn't gone and watched the water show.  How do you go to the Bellagio and NOT watch the water show??? Oh well. We watched it from the car at the stop light for a second.


Juston's gigantic gellato! MMM

When we got to the hotel we decided to just do self parking - which made us have to walk through the whole hotel to get to the check-in desk.  As we were walking through I felt a bit out of place.  We were married, dressed modestly, and I was big and pregnant - definitely quite the opposite of everyone else there. It was a little humorous though.  Like I said before, we had to upgrade to get a king sized bed. But holy cow, I am SO glad we did.  That bed was Heaven sent. Seriously.  I don't think I have been that comfortable laying down since before I got pregnant. I wish we could just rent the room out forever.  Or just have the bed. Whatever.

Saturday morning we woke up bright and early.  Ha. Before we went to sleep we tried to set the hotel's alarm clock, but couldn't get it to work.  So we set our very unreliable phones and decided to just risk it. I knew I'd be up to pee 3456453 times so we'd wake up somewhat close to when we needed to anyway. Well, somehow in the morning I though we had wanted to wake up at 6:30 instead of 7:30. I remember waking up and being mad that neither of our phones had worked but at the same time couldn't figure out why we had wanted to wake up so early.  So I woke up Juston and told him we needed to start getting ready.  He looked at his phone and then at me and was like, "um, no we don't. Go back to sleep." hahaha. Oops.

After we got up and got ready we checked out of the hotel and went to the Mandalay Bay to buy Lion King tickets.  I am so glad we went early.  Although we had seats on the second to last row, all of us were able to sit together. YAY.  We had been told there was a good chance we would all be split up - so I was happy we all got to sit together.

After we got our tickets we went to breakfast at IHOP. Honestly, I don't remember it being that good. I got a really yummy danish fruit crepe and Juston got a cinnamon roll pancake. We had a really great waitress that always acted excited to be there.  But right before we got done a group sat down next to us and was super rude to the hostess because of a little misunderstanding. Needless to say, it was awkward and we just wanted to leave.

We got done with breakfast an hour before we needed to so we decided to go walk around Target.  As I was waiting for Juston to get done with the bathroom this old lady (who sounded like she was from Germany or something) came up to me, without saying anything else, just pointed to my belly and said, "this is going to happen tomorrow morning."  I just said I hoped so and she smiled and then walked away.  It was super random, but really funny to me.  And unfortunately she was wrong!

Next we went to our spa appointment!! Wahoo! We found a little day spa kind of in the ghetto that (compared to everywhere else) was relatively cheap.  We got an hour and a half couple's massage and I got a pedicure. It was awesome.  Juston would be mad if I didn't add that I fell asleep during my massage and snored. Ha. (since I have been pregnant my sinuses are all weird and I snore a lot now)  He got a deep tissue massage and said he felt good, but like he had gotten beat up after. Oh it was a great afternoon.  I wish I could get a massage on a regular basis. (ok let's be honest...one reason I'm excited for Juston to go to PT school is to learn how to massage!)


Having pretty toes makes my giant feet so much more tolerable! Unfortunately after the show I stubbed my toe and broke off a huge chunk of my toenail...
After the spa we went back downtown to see Lion King!!! We met my parents there (they got there RIGHT in time).  It was a great show.  I was very impressed with the costumes.  Some of the props however (like the baby cub they hold up at the beginning and end) could have used a little bit of work.  But overall it really was an awesome show.  It was fun to hear all of the songs again and to see everything live. I'm so glad we were able to go before it ends in December.

After the show we went to dinner at the Melting Pot.  All of our fondue parties we've had have been based on me wanting to go to this restaurant.  We haven't ever wanted to go because it is so dang expensive - but we decided to splurge and go.  It was fantastic!! I am so happy we went.  I don't think there was anything I didn't like. Okay, that's a lie.  I didn't like the shrimp or the lobster tail.  But I did like the tuna and the other meats a lot.  Every course was seriously so good. We had the spinach artichoke cheese, salads, the mojo broth (I think) for our meats, and The Original (peanut butter and chocolate) for our desserts.  MMMM. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  It was really fun to go on a little double date with my parents.  We haven't hung out with just us four hardly at all. It was nice to have all of us just be able to relax together.

And to end the fabulous night, we slept in the living room on the couches with my brothers. Hahaha. The air conditioning in the bedrooms is out so it is WAY too hot to sleep back there.

The next day was the perfect way to end the weekend though.  It was conference weekend. We woke up to my mom making cinnamon rolls.  Then we turned on conference and listened to all of the wonderful talks.  We also played conference bingo - which really helped us to stay awake and pay attention! After the two sessions Darci and Devin came over for dinner.  We had a super yummy dinner followed by ice cream. MMM.



It really was a perfect weekend.  I honestly don't think I would change a thing.  All day on Saturday I kept saying, "Oh I am so excited for this!" or "Oh this is such a good day!!"  and it really was.  I am so glad we were able to have such a good weekend together before this little baby comes.  We are so excited for him to get here and join our little family!!

No comments: