turqoise dots background

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Moving

Moving was, how can I put this, a DISASTER.  Holy cow I am glad it's over and I don't have to do that again (at least not like that).

Before everyone came we tried to have as much as we could packed up and ready to just put into the U-Haul.  We had everything mostly done, but still had a few last minute things that needed to be done.  I wasn't planning on putting anything into the trailer until Saturday morning.  I thought Juston and I would be able to finish everything up on Friday night. But of course, that wasn't the case.  It all needed to get put in on Friday night.  But before I get to that, I should back up to where this whole fiasco started.

Juston and I don't have a lot of money.  So it was a bit stressful to decide which trailer we should rent.  They aren't exactly cheap.  I don't remember what size we originally decided on, but it wasn't exactly big.  But still, it was like $350 to rent or something.  Well, on Wednesday when my family got there my dad saw how much stuff we had and said there was no way it was all going to fit into that size of trailer.  He thought we should upgrade to the next size at least.  So we got online and looked and found a bigger one for the same price. We booked it and thought we would be singing Hallelujah praises and everything would be grand. Not.  The next day we got a call saying that trailer wasn't even available and so basically now we didn't have one.  I don't remember all of the details, but somehow we worked it out that we would get one similar in size but would have to drive to Idaho Falls to get it (half hour away).  That was fine with us.  Well, later we got a call saying the trailer we booked wouldn't be available until 5 or 6 pm the night we wanted it (we wanted it at 8 am).  That was not going to work! Somehow my dad figured it out so we could at least have a trailer.  However, the trailer was smaller than the one we had originally reserved.  Go figure.  But at least it was something.

So on Friday night when we were packing it was all just a lot of chaos.  There were so many opinions of how things should be done, what could fit, where things should go, etc.  Needless to say, emotions were running a little high - especially with me.  I had a really hard time with the stress of it all.  Everyone kept saying we weren't going to fit everything and to start deciding what we didn't want.  It was just a hard night for me.  Thankfully I have a great mom and mother-in-law who tried hard to keep everyone, especially me, calm.  They were such a big help with getting everything done.  Eventually they just sent me to bed and finished the rest that could be done that night.

Saturday we woke up to finish packing everything into (and on) the Suburban and the car.  Luckily we had some friends (THANK YOU JENNY AND CRAIG!!!!) that would be going to Vegas with an empty truck the next week.  So between our car, the trailer, the suburban, and their truck we were able to fit everything! Wahoo! It was stressful, but we did it!!


We finally pulled out of Rexburg around noon (I think) on Saturday.  We were only going to be driving to Utah that day.  My mom, Aunt GayLynn, and Grandpa all have birthdays in July so we were having a family birthday dinner at my Grandpa's for all of them.  It is hard for me to drive for very long without getting out of the car so we stopped quite a few times.  Needless to say, it took a little longer than normal to get there.

After the dinner Juston and I drive to Provo to see his friends and I went to visit Kirsta for a little while.  We don't get to see them very often so it was fun to spend some time with them.







Sunday morning (my mom's birthday) we got up to finish the drive to Vegas.  Juston and I went to breakfast with Caleb before meeting up with my family.  They picked up Jamen's girlfriend Rose in Orem and then we were on our way.  When we met up with them we stopped for gas before heading out.  There was a guy that was clearly homeless sitting in the shade and I wanted to give him some food or something.  The only thing any of us had were some gingersnap cookies Rose's mom had made for the drive.  So we got a whole bunch and gave them to him.  Afterward, I was a little shocked to see so many people giving him not food, not money, but cigarettes! I just didn't understand.

Anyway.  We got back on the road and headed on our way.  We stopped probably every hour - hour and a half for someone (I think I only asked to stop once!) to either pee, stretch their legs, or something.  It was quite the drive.  Since it was my mom's birthday she got to choose where we ate dinner.  We were going to stop in Beaver at this little Mexican place, but that didn't work out.  So we stopped in Cedar at Wingers.  Juston and I wanted something fairly healthy so we got a sandwich to share and everyone else shared sticky fingers.  I think there was a lot more than we expected though! Plus, Juston and I ended up eating the wings anyway haha.  Oh, and they had a promotion going on where you could get one of their  asphalt pies for only $1.  So we ate that also.  So much for eating healthy!

That night we finally made it to Vegas and unloaded the trailer into my parents' garage.  The boys took the trailer back and we were finally here!!





No comments: