turqoise dots background

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Preschool

I am into my second week of preschool now - and I am loving it!  I was having super mixed feelings going into it.  I was having a hard time knowing I wouldn't be with my kids as much and being their sole nurturer, provider, supporter, etc. during the day.  For one, I didn't want to put that responsibility on anyone else.  Taking care of kids is HARD work.  Two, I didn't want to miss out on anything in their lives.  I know a lot of moms can relate to this - whether it's from working, sending their kids to school, or whatever.   I have always known I was going to keep Grayson with me during classes.  I'm not ready to stop nursing, he's pretty immobile, and still takes at least two good naps during the day.  Jackson on the other hand - he's a hard one.  He has become a TERRIBLE napper (so side note - if anyone knows how to get their kid to sleep longer during the day let me know! Ha.  He wakes up still super tired)  My mom offered to watch him one day for the whole day and Karen (Juston's mom) offered to watch him another day of the week.  We set those days for Monday and Wednesday because Juston would be home Tuesday and Thursday morning.  I then had the problem of those afternoons.  I had hoped to find someone that was homeschooled to come and help watch them and help around the house during that time.  That avenue didn't work out.  I was stuck.  I seriously didn't know what to do.  A lot of moms offered to trade preschool for babysitting him.  I know that they would all probably do a great job and would be so good to him.  Something just kept nagging that it wasn't the right decision.  I know it might sound dumb but I was extremely emotional about it.  I just didn't know what to do.  I was talking to a couple of friends about it and expressing my feelings.  One of them jokingly said I should just keep him and let him watch TV all afternoon.  Suddenly, I felt at peace.  I had thought about keeping him before but just really didn't think I could do it.  But suddenly it just felt peaceful.  I decided I would give it a try.  I told the moms what I had decided and that if it got to be too much I would take them up on their offer.  So far  it has been great! He is BUSY.  But so are the kids.  The only time it is hard is when we are sitting and I am trying to do direct instruction.  Otherwise he can participate in almost all of the activities - or some variation of them.  And then he takes a nap during the time we are painting or doing anything too messy that I can't handle him for.  I'm SO happy I decided to keep him.  I feel like I still get to be a mom to him and I can still be a good teacher.  Plus, he's getting a lot more social interaction that he desperately needs!

Ok back to the actual preschool classes.  I am loving it.  I have a fun group of kids this year.  I will have to adjust some of my plans a little to fit their needs and personalities.  Some need LOTS of movement and play time.  But that's ok.  I already knew not everyone learns the same so I just need to put that into action. I love teaching.  I am really excited for this year.  Hopefully I will continue to have more energy than I did last year.  I love that I can be a mom and a teacher at the same time.  I get the best of both worlds I think!

No comments: