turqoise dots background

Monday, June 25, 2012

Our Horrible Start of Vacation

Last week we had our annual family beach camping trip.  Juston and I were so excited to finally be able to go (we haven't gone since the first summer we were married).  We packed up pretty early because we had such a busy weekend before we left.  Well, I guess I should say I packed up pretty early.  Juston got food poisoning the day we packed up so I packed up on my own.

Anyway. Getting to the point.  Juston and I had originally planned to go down with my parents, send Juston home with Darci on Sunday, and Jackson and I would stay until Monday with my parents.  Plans changed to us driving ourselves.  The night before we decided to ride with Dave (my dad's cousin) and his son Austin.  We took our stuff out of our trunk and loaded it onto the back of his truck.  We secured it all down with a cargo net and were good to go.  He had backed into our driveway because he had some bikes on the back he didn't want anyone to see.

We woke up early Monday morning (I woke up at 5:30 to feed Jackson so we could leave at 6:30).  The morning was rough.  We were tired.  We didn't plan time to feed ourselves.  Jackson seemed happy and fine after I fed him so we let him play on the floor while we finished getting ready.  I noticed him pooping so I made a mental note to change his diaper again before we left.  A few minutes later Juston walked over and realized Jackson had pooped out his diaper, all down his leg, and all over the floor.  Seriously, it was everywhere.  Luckily Juston got to clean it up. ;)  But, with that little hiccup we were out the door only a few minutes late.  We jumped in Dave's truck, my family loaded into the Suburban and off we went to pick up my dad.

We got to the station, hooked up the trailer, and left within only a few minutes.  We had to stop at an auto parts store to get a light for the trailer.  It was supposed to be a really quick stop so Juston and I just stayed in the truck while they did the light.  Dave was looking over the stuff in the truck and realized a bag was missing from the truck.  Long story short - we realized the cargo net had been cut and our bag had been taken.

Now let me just clarify, this bag was HUGE and HEAVY.  We had borrowed one of my parents giant duffle bags and packed both mine and Juston's clothes in it.  And when I say packed, I mean it was packed.  Most of the clothes we owned were in the bag (I am a horrible over packer, plus we don't have a lot of clothes to begin with).  I didn't believe it at first.  But when it sank in all I could do was cry.  We now had no clothes for vacation.  No money to replace said clothes.  No clothes when we got home.  I was very upset.

Luckily I have the best mom and sister ever.  They drove back just to make sure it hadn't fallen out.  They looked in the deserts close to our house to see if someone had dumped it there.  They packed us a few things to help get us through the week.  And they went to the police station to make a police report.  All of this with Darci's three little kids.  Juston and I said a prayer together at one point and I felt a lot of comfort from that.  I did good until we got to the beach and were organizing our stuff.  My mom and sister really did their best packing for us but nothing they packed for me would work.  All of the shirts needed shade type of under shirts that I had packed in my other bag.  Reality really set in with me at that point.  I really had no clothes to wear.  I had another little meltdown before we went to Walmart to buy some new clothes.

We left Walmart with some new shirts, a swim suit bottom, a tank top, a swim dress, a shirt and rash guard for Juston, and a few other things.  I was so grateful for Walmart that day.  I was so glad they had some cute cheap clothes.

It was such a long day for me.  I was just ready to go to bed that night.  I was so emotionally drained.  I know it is only clothes.  But really, there was so much money worth of clothes in that bag.  Nobody buys a whole new wardrobe at once so you never really think about how much your wardrobe is worth.  Even buying cheap clothes it adds up really quick.

I tried hard to look at the positives from the situation.  I knew it was what it was and I couldn't change it so I should make the best of what it was.  I was grateful for my mom and sister for doing everything they could for us.  I was grateful for Dave driving us down.  I was grateful it wasn't Jackson's bag - it had a lot more immediate need things in it.  I was grateful our underwear weren't in it so we could at least have clean underwear the whole week.  I was grateful I was wearing shorts instead of PJs so I could wear those all week.  There were a lot of things I was grateful for in that situation.

I am still really sad about losing our clothes.  Both Juston and I had some favorites packed.  I haven't really gone in my closet since we've been home because I don't want to face the reality of only having like 5 shirts to wear.

But hey, I have an excuse to go shopping right? Ha.

2 comments:

ashley said...

this makes my heart hurt for you!

The Garlands said...

That would be awful to loose lots of clothes. I too over pack. But like you said each item is slowly bought not many can just go out and buy a whole new wardrobe at once.