I really miss sleeping well. We had it so good for a little while with Jackson. He would go to bed around 10, wake up at 6 or 7, then sleep again until about 9. Plus he would usually take 2 (sometimes 3) really good naps during the day. Then we went to Utah.....
I don't know what happened there, but he didn't sleep well the whole time we were there. It was hard. I constantly looked forward to going home, Juston being there to help me, and Jackson getting back on his normal sleep schedule. Well, that hasn't really happened. He wakes up at 6:30 ish almost every day and sometimes goes right back to sleep after he eats (sometimes he stays up for another half hour to 45 minutes, but not usually). He gets tired again around noon, but will NOT take a nap. He just gets really cranky. He will sometimes fall asleep for about 20-30 minutes, but that's about it. Then he refuses to sleep the rest of the day no matter how hard we try. The last few days he has been falling asleep for another 30-45 minute nap around 7. These have been because we are in the car or something. Then he won't sleep again until about 11:30-12 and the cycle starts over again. Oh, except when he goes to sleep he doesn't always stay asleep. Sometimes he wakes up 2 or 3 a night. It is never consistent though. It is really making for long days and nights.
I don't think he is teething or has anything wrong with him. We did upgrade to his crib instead of the bassinet. However, he slept better in it the first few nights. Plus, he used to sleep really well in his swing for naps and he doesn't even do that anymore. I tried letting him cry it out for a nap today and he still only slept for about 30 minutes.
We both really need to get some sleep soon. I just don't know how to do that. Any suggestions are gladly welcomed.......
4 comments:
Oh Brighton! I am with ya! When we went to Boise for Easter Jax slept HORRIBLE. Ever since we have gotten back, his sleep is inconsistent too. He wakes around 6 lately and either I just get up or move him in our bed with us and then McKay can't sleep. This morning he just woke up early and neither of us went back to sleep. If you figure out a solution...let me know! Good thing these boys are so cute! haha
Sorry for the novel in advance. If you have time, I'd really recommend Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. (http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023)I've read a million things on sleep and I felt this one was the most credible because he's not only a pediatrician, but a sleep specialist whose done a million sleep studies and actually has research to back up his theories. There's a lot more than this, but according to the book, I'd say your biggest issue may be putting him to bed too late. The book recommends putting them to bed between 630-830pm. It also says that it's counter-intuitive but sleep begets sleep, so if they're not sleeping well you need to give them more sleep by putting them to bed earlier. it may not work the first few times but it should help. he's probably not sleeping because he's over tired. There are a ton of chapters that feature each age and stage, but usually you don't want babies up more than a few hours at a time, so perhaps you're putting him to nap too late? Also, there is a strong correlation between naps and night sleep. if they nap poorly during the day it will affect their night sleep. this may or may not work for you--but i'd recommend really researching and shopping around and then using your mommy instincts and you'll find something to work for you and your lil boy. Best of luck no matter what you choose. That's hard not getting good sleep, for you and him.
Brighton, I love sleeping a lot, and I would babysit your baby for an afternoon or something for free if you need a nap :) Just let me know!
One thing about babies is that their sleep schedules change ALL THE TIME. Just when you think they've got a routine it changes up! Eventually after they turn one it sort of levels out, so don't fear! There is light at the end of the long dark tunnel that you aren't sleeping in :]
Post a Comment